Neighbors

Neighbors

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Hard work

Lately I've been thinking about how hard relationships are. As in any relationship-parent/child, friends, boyfriend/girlfriend, husband/wife, co-workers. You get the picture. It requires a lot of work to be in relationship with someone. I think that's a pretty obvious statement-definitely something that I've known. That part is not new to me. But what is new or newer anyways, is that all relationships require this and it's up to me to decide if I want to put in the effort. Because the reward is great: 

The best part of relationships are when you reach that level of familiarity-you know, when it is just comfortable and easy and there's not as much work required as there is in the beginning. Of course there is still work in order to maintain what is good, but it's just so great- the inside jokes, the not needing to explain a certain back-story, the ease of jumping right in to deep conversation because all the surface level stuff has already been talked about, the feeling of being known and still loved. This is the reward of all that hard work at the beginning. And it is so worth it! 

So in Vickery, just like in life, there are some relationships that are so easy. There are kids who I feel like I have known for forever. Like they have always been a part of my life. I feel like their second mom and I know without a doubt that these kids trust me fully. There is no doubt in their mind that I want to spend time with them, that I want to play games, that I know them and the details of their life. And then there are the other kids... the ones that are hard to love. The ones that annoy me and that I have little patience for because their not "my" kids. But the funny thing about Vickery is that it is such a transient culture. People are always picking up and moving to the next best place. For whatever reason-they have family there, they heard about lower rent, someone told them it was better than where they are now. One of my very favorite families that I have known for two and a half years is moving soon. I can't even begin to imagine life without them here and yet I have to because they are really moving. After talking about it for the last year, they finally bought plane tickets and they are out of here on March 5. I love this family so much. I could tell you a million reasons why, but then we'd be here forever. Mostly they just have found a way into my heart and I don't think they'll ever not be a part of my heart. I've taken them to doctor's appointments, been with Arjun when he got his cast taken off of his broken arm, visited Indra in the hospital when Angelica was born (helped decide how to spell her name!), eaten dinner in their home so many times, been invited to celebrate their holidays, taken Arjun and Manisha to church, talked with Beda about who Jesus is, prayed for them oh so much. And so much more. But they are leaving. And I will still be here. A little more heartbroken but blessed beyond belief to have known them. Because God didn't call me to Vickery to love one family and although I can't imagine life here without them-it will go on. And there are other families and other kids who need love and friendship. And I need them too. And it will require work and awkward, hard to understand conversations and funny food and patience... It requires me playing Go Fish with the hard to love kid so that he knows that I want to spend time with him and maybe one day he'll be my favorite. And maybe I'll get to know his parents and become friends with them and share Jesus. That will be a good day. So I will work at it because as much as I can't imagine Vickery without the Dhungana family, even more I can't imagine not living here. I thank God every day that I live here. I see God at work and feel his presence here. I see things that hurt him but I also see situations that bring him honor and glory. I see people that he loves! 


So all this to say that relationships are hard but they are worth fighting for. And on the days I want to be lazy and not work at a new relationship, I pray that God would remind me what it is I'm working toward. That he would remind me of this little family that has stolen my heart. I can't wait for all the phone conversations that I will get to have with Arjun and Manisha in the coming months! If you know them too, please keep praying for them, to know Jesus, to make friends, to settle in to their new home easily. 

Thankful for this life I live! 

1 comment:

  1. Sad they are leaving, but no doubt God has used you as a major blessing in their lives! And yes, relationships are a lot of work, but very worth it :)

    ReplyDelete