Neighbors

Neighbors

Saturday, December 24, 2011

O Holy Night

     I'm not much into Christmas music. (Don't be mad at me!) I feel like it always starts way too soon-sometimes before Thanksgiving has even happened! So I kind of boycott it for awhile, at least until mid-December. Sounds kind of Grinch-y, right? I have friends (who will remain nameless) that would probably listen to it all year round or at least beginning in the summer if they thought no one would judge them. Maybe on some level I envy their Christmas spirit. But for whatever reason it takes me some time to get into the Christmas mood. 


     A few weeks ago, I went with my roommate to her church and of course there were Christmas songs and in the middle of singing "O Holy Night," I felt the impact of what Christ's birth really meant for all creation. I love the first verse that says "long lay the world in sin and error pining. Till He appeared and the soul felt it's worth." But the part that caused me to catch my breath, just a little, is this line-"Truly He taught us to love one another, His law is love and His gospel is peace. Chains shall He break, for the slave is our brother. And in His name all oppression shall cease." In His name, ALL oppression shall cease. I cannot wait for this day. All throughout the Bible, God points to a new day where things will be made right. I cling to this truth. Because so many years ago, Christ came as a baby, because of His sacrifice, his choice to enter this world as a human, to become like us so that He could have a relationship with us, because of THIS, all oppression will cease. Wow. 


     There are so many other great Christmas songs with beautiful lyrics and it has been fun over the last few weeks to really worship while singing these songs. I know we are past Thanksgiving, but today on Christmas Eve, I am thankful that I am with my family. My family, who this year, gave money to sweet refugee families that I know instead of spending ridiculous amounts of money on each other. My brother, who made sure that his friend from Liberia had groceries and phone cards so that he could talk to his family who still lives in Liberia. I am thankful for my small group girls who bought candy to give out at our Christmas party. I am thankful that tomorrow I get to go on a road trip to Florida with my dad so that we can see my grandparents who have taught me so much about what it means to love Jesus and to see my Brittany whom I love so much.  


     Most of all I am thankful for this truth: 


"The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; 
on those living in the land of darkness; a light has dawned. 

For a Child will be born to us, a son will be given to us,
and the government will be on His shoulders. He will be named 
Wonderful Counselor, Might God, Eternal Father,
Prince of Peace. The dominion will be vast, and its prosperity
will never end. He will reign on the throne of David
and over his kingdom, to establish and sustain it with justice
and righteousness from now on and forever. 
The zeal of the Lord of Hosts will accomplish this."
Isaiah 9:2, 6-7

Merry Christmas Y'all! Praying that Jesus reminds you of His love for you this day! 

P.S. My dad just walked into the room while I'm typing and gave me the book "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp. I am super excited!! I have heard excellent things about this. Book review coming up in a few posts? Maybe. 

2 comments:

  1. God gave me a renewed appreciation of that same song this past Christmas! Such a powerful message! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is my ultimate favorite Christmas song! I also love the line "chains shall he break, for the slave is our brother". I don't really know what the writer of the song meant exactly, but it reminds me that we were all slaves and the slaves(still out there, whether literally or figuratively) are our brother. It give me great motivation to be a part of freedom for all peoples!! (dont know if that made sense...)

    My new(old) favorite Christmas song this year is "oh come, oh come Immanuel" Go read the words and tell me what you think! I love you and I LOVE your blog!!
    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete